Adding an In-Law Suite to Your Home
An in-law addition can increase the value of your home and make it even more attractive to buyers when you choose to sell.
All In the Family
Another advantage of an in-law suite for parents is that it allows you to delay or entirely forego an assisted living facility’s cost.
Keep in mind that while you may be building the addition for your parents’ needs now, eventually, you may be using the space for another purpose. Make sure you’ve created a space that is useful and attractive to buyers.
- Do you need wheelchair accessibility?
- Do you need a handicap accessible bathroom?
- Is a full kitchen necessary, or will a kitchenette suffice?
- How much space is needed?
- Think these things through before you begin construction to ensure that the new addition is usable and fits the needs of those who will live in it.
Supplement Your Income
Some homeowners have added these types of additions and used them as rental units. You could rent the addition and use the supplemental income towards your mortgage or to pay for the addition itself. A studio apartment in Rochester, NY, could provide you with an additional $800-$1500/month, depending on the location.
Whether you are adding an in-law suite to accommodate the needs of aging parents or as a rental unit or simply to upgrade your property, Quality Homes of Rochester is here for you. Contact us today to find out more.